There’s no denying the familiar scent of your favourite Alchemy Hair Remedy. Whether your an OG fan with Grapefruit remedy, a fan of the fresh peppermint or a supporter of the citrus zest of Amla remedy, each remedy has a distinct scent.
What you may not know is that not only are our oils designed to nourish your hair and skin but that they come with a side of aromatherapy benefits too… what a bonus!
Aromatherapy is a magical alternative medicine that harnesses the power of essential oils that are inhaled as a part of treatment to improve health. This practice has been around for thousands of years and is used by cultures around the world.
Here are some of the incredible benefits of aromatherapy that you may not know…
- Probably the most popular use of aromatherapy is to relieve stress, many essential oils are relaxants and can help to eliminate anxiety, some of the best aromas for this are lavender, lemon or bergamot (the key ingredient in our Earl Grey remedy).
- Aromatherapy can be used as an antidepressant (to complement other therapies) with research showing that peppermint, chamomile and jasmine can have help to relieve depression. Lemon oil (such as in our Amla remedy) has been shown to improve mood too, enhancing feelings of happiness.
- An exciting discovery was that aromatherapy was be used to boost memory especially as we age. Aromas have been shown to boost memory capacity and the creation of short-term memories for a period of time after treatment. The top essential oil for a memory boost is sage.
- While you might usually opt for caffeine or sugar for an energy increase, certain essential oils have been shown to stimulate energy too. Oils like pepper, cardamom, tea tree and cinnamon can increase circulation leading to increased feelings of energy, without the side effects of a sugar crash or caffeine low.
- Essential oils can help with healing from injuries too. By inhaling scents such as rosehip, lavender and buckthorn, our bodies can experience increased oxygen levels and blood flow to wounds, speeding up the healing process. Certain oils also contain anti-microbial properties to protect the body against illness and fight off certain conditions including psoriasis and eczema (here’s one customer’s experience of treating psoriasis with Alchemy remedies.)
- We all know that sleep is extremely important for many aspects of wellness. Aromatherapy can be used to realign our circadian rhythms (the natural cycle of sleep and wake) to help you rest better and feel more energised… you might even become a morning person! Soothing sleepy scents include lavender, chamomile, rose, jasmine and ylang-ylang, many of which can be found in herbal teas.