Can you imagine Indian cooking without turmeric? It just wouldn’t be the same!
This golden magic ingredient is integral in Indian cooking and culture, and has so many health benefits. Not only does it contain over 300 antioxidants that help with healing the body, but it has beautifying effects too!
Here are a few of our favourite benefits of this sunshine coloured miracle spice…
1. Skin problems – Turmeric has been used as a beauty product for centuries due to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It can be used to help with healing acne and scars by mixing it into a face mask – just combine turmeric and water and leave on the affected areas for 15 mins.
2. Digestion – if you suffer from indigestion turmeric is here to help. The golden spice helps to increase your body’s metabolic rate, it also helps to restore your stomach’s natural pH levels – this will help you keep your digestive pathway free from issues such as gas and constipation.
3. Unwanted Hair – Turmeric has the unexpected property of slowing and even stopping the growth of unwanted facial hair for women. Mix some turmeric with gram flour (chickpea flour) and apply in a circular motion to your skin, then scrub it off to exfoliate away unwanted hairs.
4. Oily Skin – if you suffer from oily skin turmeric can help to reduce this issue. If applied twice a day, the fatty acids and phytosterols in turmeric help to reduce the production of excess oil on the skin.
5. Sun damage – With this beautiful sunshine we are seeing across the UK recently its inevitable that some of us will be feeling the effects of the sun on our skin. Turmeric has been shown to prevent many adverse effects of sun exposure because of the enzymes it contains.
Suggested Turmeric Skin Recipes:
All-Purpose Mask – 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder + 1 teaspoon of honey + 1 teaspoon of milk or plain yogurt
For Acne-Prone Skin – 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder + 1 tablespoon of chickpea powder+ 1 tablespoon of lemon juice + a touch of water
For Oily Skin Types – ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder + 1 tablespoon of gram flour + a touch of water
Moisturizing Cream – ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder + 1 tablespoon of rose water + 1 tablespoon of fresh cream
Toner – 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder + 1 egg white + 1 tablespoon of oats
As well as applying it to skin, turmeric can be included in your diet in a number of ways from adding it to smoothies, soups or stews to turmeric tea, marinades and dips.
Turmeric Magic Milkshake Recipe:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
2/3 cup hemp or coconut milk
1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1 cup coconut ice cream